Adult Education at FPCE
Advent – November 27 to December 19
Sundays at 11 a.m. in the Sanctuary and online
(register here to join us on Zoom).
The annual all-congregation Advent course will be taught by David Ivaska. “Tough Questions at Christmas – Surprised by Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace” will help us explore the challenging stories of the first Christmas, listen to the hard questions we face this Christmas, and prepare for our entering a New Year 2022. We will meet after our 9:30 a.m. worship services on four consecutive Sundays, beginning November 28.
Tough Questions at Christmas – Surprised by Hope, Love, Joy & Peace
Teacher – David Ivaska
Exploring the challenging stories of the first Christmas;
Listening to the hard questions we face this Christmas
A follow-up to our all church retreat this Fall with Andy Root;
A preparation for our church entering a New Year 2022
Zechariah’s Question – “How can I trust what God is saying?”
Luke 1:5-25, 62-80
Joseph’s Question – “How can I fix this messy situation?”
Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 2:1-7
Share together: Where do I struggle to trust God?
What messy situation am I trying to fix?
Mary’s Question – “How can God use me, I am only a young girl?”
Luke 1:26-38, 46-56
Elizabeth’s Question – “What is God doing at my age and why is He asking me to help someone else so important?”
Luke 1:39-45, 57-61
Share together: When do I struggle to think God wants to use me at whatever age or stage I am,
especially if what He wants me to do looks so hard, even impossible?
The Shepherds’ Question – “What is this happening around us?”
The Wisemen’s Question – “Where can we find this Jesus?”
Share together: How do I struggle to understand what is happening in the world around us?
In what situations am I looking for God or someone who can bring deliverance?
Simeon’s and Anna’s Questions – “How long before I will see the salvation of the Lord?”
Weeping mothers’ question – “Where can we find any comfort?
Share together: When do I find myself longing for God to come and make all things right?
When do I find myself thinking that I will never be comforted?
Sponsored by First Pres Evanston Discipleship Council –
Dan Shiau, Rosemary Mauck, Richard Bell and JJ Ivaska
Sunday school opportunities
What do a sheep, an eagle, a lion, and a raven have in common???*
- Infants through 3 year olds are invited to check out the Nursery. They can meet their teachers and get comfortable in the space! Each week they will have a Bible story and project during the education hour.
- 4 year olds through 5th graders are invited to join us in the Dining Room. We will have a special time together where we will sing, get to know each other, explore a Bible scripture.
*They’re all animals mentioned in the Bible AND
they are all names of our Sunday School groups!
- 6th and 7th graders are invited to gather in the 3rd floor Youth Lounge for Sunday school with Pastor Ray and Oakley Smith.
- Confirmation Class: 8th and 9th graders are invited to gather in room 206 as we spend the year digging deep into our faith.
- 10th, 11th, and 12th graders are invited to help as a volunteer teacher with the Children’s Sunday school or attend one of the Adult Education classes. Contact Pastor Amanda if you want to volunteer.