FPCE is in the midst of a Strategic Plan process, in partnership with outside consultants Ministry Architects.
Using a construction model as the primary analogy for the process, our planning is overseen by the “Design Team” made up of congregation members, staff and our consultants.
If you have ANY question about the Strategic Plan process,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This confidential email goes only to members of the Design Team, and we will respond promptly when appropriate.
The Design Team:
Kathy Tan Shiau
Senior Pastor Raymond Hylton
Leadership Structure Task Force:
Year-Round Stewardship Task Force:
Ministry Architects Team Members:
Annette Safstrom, Senior Consultant
Debbie Freeman, Consultant
Rob Dyer, Consultant
Since our last update on Sunday, February 17, here are key progress points we want to share:
Sunday, March 24, during Fellowship Hour, the Design Team will be present to answer questions; this will take place every month.
- Stewardship: the Task Force is focusing on the financial aspects of stewardship for now, looking at how income and expense management are connected; As a strong starting point, our Church is blessed by a financial participation above 80% of members!
- Hospitality: we identified a high level of energy and initiatives to make our visitors most welcome; we are defining proposals to make these more effective, resilient and sustainable over time.
- Ministry survey: More than 90% of the 60+ surveys have been collected from Ministry leaders; we have gathered a lot of data, the task at hand now is proportional to the the volume of initiatives and volunteer work our congregation mobilizes, which is a clear sign to us of the Spirit’s grace upon our Church.
- Governance: the Task Force is looking at all aspects of the work of Deacons, Elders and Trustees, to make sure none of the strengths of our Church are lost as we compare to the practices of other churches surveyed; As you have noticed, our Board of Deacons has already mobilized several other Ministry groups in its mission, to serve Christ with joy.
Design Team: Alexis Langlois, Tim Minich, Jon Phillips, Susan Powell, Karen Shaw, Kathy Shiau
If you have ANY question about the Strategic Plan process,
please email email@example.com.
This confidential email goes only to members of the Design Team, and we will respond promptly when appropriate.
Recent Highlights of Strategic Planning Process at FPC Evanston
We’re in a season of recommitting ourselves to mapping out the course God has for us. Whether it’s one step at a time or mile after mile, we’re seeking to be obedient as we eagerly participate in His plans!
Over the past four months, while the week-to-week ministries of FPC Evanston have continued with the same consistency and excellence, behind-the-scenes work has taken place to poise the church for more healthy growth in ministry in the coming years.
Below are the highlights of the work thus far. Last month a Design Team email was established to receive input or inquiries from membership: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to contact us there with any questions you might have.
- The recommendations of the Ministry Architects Report of October 13, 2018 were accepted and the timeline for implementation was endorsed by the Session.
- Successful orientation of the Design Team for the work ahead took place.
- Collaborative conversations with staff members to increase communication clarity established a rhythm that has continued.
- Design Team members adopted specific tasks from the strategic planning timeline and wholeheartedly engaged the process.
- Visioning Summit for Combined Leadership Retreat was led by Ministry Architects
- Elders, Deacons, Trustees, & Design Team drafted goals and benchmarks to establish a clear direction with measurable outcomes. These are under review with projected approval at next Session meeting.
- A survey to identify the Investment and Impact of every FPCE ministry was created and distributed to ministry leaders. Some data has been received while others still need to complete surveys.
- A Leadership Structure Task Force was recruited and initiated a survey of church governance among 8 comparable churches. Data points from surveys are informing the task force’s observations and recommendations as Session will consider change in FPCE’s leadership boards: Elders, Deacons and Trustees.
- A MissionInSite demographic report was obtained to help inform the missional impulse of the strategic planning process.
- A Year-Round Stewardship Task Force was recruited to explore ways to affirm and encourage stewardship of time, talent and offerings throughout the year.
Our hope is that this entire process, which will continue into 2020, would be supported by the prayers of the membership and marked by clear communication and a collaborative climate among the church members and staff (who are also integral members of the church family). With a unified adherence to the vision combined with thoughtful, intentional steps into change, we are confident that the Holy Spirit will lead us into deeper experiences of knowing Christ, following Christ, and serving Christ together.
The Strategic Plan’s Visioning Summit was held on January 11 and 12. The Ministry Architects team led 60 Elders, Deacons, Trustees, staff and Design Team members in brainstorming.
The Summit resulted in a deeper understanding about the mission of our church, our core values, our 10 year goals, and how we will measure achievement.
The Design Team now needs to translate these ideas into action steps. The result will then be presented to Session for discussion about a clear plan forward.
In parallel to the Summit, the following topics are being studied by various teams of church members:
- Stewardship: defining a comprehensive stewardship approach that encompasses time, talent, spiritual gifts as well as financial contributions
- Governance: surveying 8 other similar size churches in the Presbytery on their governance model
- Ministries inventory: launching a survey to all Ministry leaders to measure the current time and talent commitment of each Ministry