Overview: The Stephen Minister assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position offers confidential support and distinctively Christian care to congregation members and friends who are going through a difficult time. (FPCE membership is required before training.)
- Provide one-to-one private ongoing care, and confidential skilled listening and focused presence within a Christian context, to a congregation member or friend through personal contact weekly.
- Complete Stephen Ministry administrative tasks weekly.
- Offer specific prayer for and with the person under the Stephen Minister’s care each week.
- Daily personal prayer and devotion.
- Attend Bi-monthly Supervision and Continuing Education training.
- Attend church events relating to Stephen Ministry each quarter.
- Complete Stephen Ministry Training.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The individual Stephen Minister reports to FPCE’s Stephen Leaders, and is part of a currently 17-person team of Stephen Ministers at First Pres Evanston. Stephen Leaders report to the Senior Pastor and coordinate with Pastoral Care leadership.
Time Commitment: 2-3 Hours per Week, minimum 2-year commitment following training.
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Compassion, mercy, patience, discipline, pastoral care, prayer, Christ-centered.
Resources, Training Provided: Professional 50-hour training program, training manuals, bi-monthly continuing education, Stephen Ministry National Headquarters, guidance from more experienced Stephen Ministers.
Volunteer job description written 6/12/21