Overview: The Refugee Family Resettlement Team Member assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position ensures that refugee families are shown the love of Christ and helped in practical ways as they make a new life in the area.
- The volunteer will serve as part of a First Presbyterian Evanston team assigned to one family. The team serves in cooperation with World Relief.
- The volunteer will have been trained by World Relief
- The volunteer will assist with collection of furniture and items needed by a family coming to the U.S. without any belongings.
- The volunteer will assist with setting up the apartment.
- The volunteer may be part of a welcome team at the airport.
- The team will visit at least weekly if not more for a three month commitment.
- Help will be given with practical things such as registering a child for school,getting state IDs, medical concerns, transportation systems, grocery stores, navigating online resources, and more.
- POC/Team leader has been reported to with information about the family, further needs, and necessary changes.
- Second and fourth quarter meetings have been attended for reporting and planning purposes if the volunteer wishes to remain connected to the family after the initial three months.
- Group special events have been attended as possible: Refugee Thanksgiving Dinner, Syrian Mother’s Day outing, and the summer picnic.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The Refugee Family Resettlement Team Member reports to the Team Leader.
Time Commitment: 2-3 Hours per week for 3 months.
- Praying for the refugee family every day
- Attending World Relief Training (one time), and meeting with team as determined by team and needs.
- Participating in annual special events with other refugee families and visitors to get their family connected to First Friends.
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Hospitable, culturally sensitive, encouraging, willing to initiate, and creative with problem solving
Volunteer job description written 6/30/21