Overview: The Mission Overnight Shelter Volunteer assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position ensures that guests to the shelter are welcomed and safe overnight.
- Homeless guests have been welcomed at the shelter for the night.
- Safety of the guests has been ensured throughout the night.
- The Mission Overnight Shelter Volunteer has spent the night at the shelter along with a staff member.
- Shelter staff members have been assisted with any needs that arise.
- Guests have been woken up at 6:00 AM.
- The space has been straightened up in the morning, including the collection of sheets and blankets.
- Help has been given to ensure that all guests have left the shelter by 6:45 AM.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The Mission Overnight Shelter Volunteer reports to the shelter staff and is part of a 21-member team of overnight volunteers.
Time Commitment: 10 Hours per Time
Volunteers are welcome to sign up for as many nights as they would like where openings exist.
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Hospitality, concern for the poor, calm, ability to interact with a variety of personalities.
Resources, Training Provided: Annual orientation, nightly orientation, assistance from shelter staff members.
Charlene Parris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer job description written 4/23/21