Overview: The Friend of Internationals assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position ensures that international students have a friendly connection and help with whatever they need as they navigate a new place.
- A new student has been connected with at the start of the school year.
- Help has been given as the student gets settled in the area if needed.
- The student has been engaged each month via email, phone, or in person.
- Special events, such as meals together or tourist experiences, have been initiated once per quarter.
- Informal events for the international student have been hosted when possible.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The Friend of International Students reports to the Director of Mission and is part of a 15-person team of friends of international students.
Time Commitment: 1-4 Hours per Month
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Friendly, hospitable, open to multicultural experiences, able to talk with people, disciplined in reaching out to create connection, love for college students, willingness to learn, desire to share culture and learn about other cultures, desire for long-term connection (at least one year).
Resources, Training Provided: Orientation from the leader, help with individual volunteers as necessary, handouts and guides to help with English language conversation, potential to participate in training events of Northwestern University.
Caryl Weinberg, firstname.lastname@example.org (Temporary)
Volunteer job description written 4/23/21