Overview: The English Tutor/Conversation Partner assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position assists a refugee in English language acquisition in a one-on-one setting.
- Arrangements have been made to meet with a refugee (child or adult) for one hour each week either on Zoom or in person.
- The individual has been assisted with learning the English language through conversation or tutoring based on their individual needs.
- A report will be given to the Director of Mission each month to discuss progress, problems, and next steps.
- Second and fourth quarter meetings will be attended, with leaders and other family volunteers for planning and problem solving.
- Group special events have been attended as possible: Refugee Thanksgiving Dinner, Syrian Mother’s Day outing, and the summer picnic.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The English Tutor/Conversation Partner reports to the Director of Mission and is part of a 10-person team.
Time Commitment: 1 – 2 Hours per Week
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Hospitality, encouragement, helping, skill and comfort with communicating with non-English speakers, enjoys being with people, cross-cultural sensitivity, takes initiative.
Resources, Training Provided: Orientation, First Friends meetings for mutual help and brainstorming, resource booklet, individual help by First Friends leaders, optional training available with World Relief.
Volunteer job description written 4/23/21