Overview: The Children’s Sunday School Teacher assists First Presbyterian Evanston in accomplishing its mission: To know Christ and to grow in him as we serve and make disciples in Evanston, the Chicago area, and the world. The person in this position ensures that young people in the FPCE family have come to know the love of God in a safe and encouraging environment at Sunday school.
- Children have been prayed for daily.
- The Children’s Sunday School Teacher has reviewed the lesson plan each week and familiarized themselves with the details before Sunday.
- Any necessary supplies for the lesson have been gathered or requested from the Minister of Children and Youth during the week before Sunday.
- The Minister of Children and Youth has been contacted with any questions or needs in the week leading up to Sunday.
- The Children’s Sunday School Teacher has arrived in the classroom by 10:00 AM on Sunday and the space has been set up.
- Children have been welcomed as they arrive.
- Attendance has been taken at the start of the Sunday school time.
- The Bible lesson has been led for the day in the format described by the curriculum.
- The room and all supplies have been cleaned up and put away at the end of class.
- A review sheet has been completed after the class time and submitted to the Minister for Children and Youth.
- A quarterly Sunday school teacher meeting has been attended for training, updates, and a check-in with the Minister for Children and Youth.
Relationships, Team Composition:
The Children’s Sunday School Teacher reports to the Minister of Children and Youth and is part of a 9-person team of teachers.
Time Commitment: 2.5 Hours per Sunday
- Includes preparation and class time.
- This position could be weekly or on a rotation basis with a teaching team.
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Love of children, welcoming, patient, friendly, flexible, curious, thoughtful, desire to serve.
Resources, Training Provided: Curriculum, training on safety, classroom management, and teaching techniques, continued support from the Minister of Children and Youth. A background check is required.
Rev. Amanda Golbek
Volunteer job description written 4/26/21