Right Ideas in an Upside Down World
FPCE Parish Nurse.
While word of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus has been in the news for a bit, this past week seems to have turned our world upside down. We are being inundated with resources, and I would encourage you to continue to look to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (https://www.cdc.gov) and World Health Organization (https://who.int) websites for reliable information.
There is no 100% effective way of avoiding our contracting the COVID-19 virus. However, preparing our bodies, minds and spirits can go a long way, while also helping us to feel more confident. I want to give you some actionable ways to support your immune system at this time:
- Hand Hygiene, using soap and water, cannot be stressed enough. Just have everyone wash their hands when they enter the house. Also, sanitize areas like door knobs, light switches and remotes.
- Rest and sleep properly. When you sleep your body goes thru a natural detox and healing process that helps keep your immune system strong.
- Maintain a healthy diet. I know you may have more prepared foods in your home right now, but try to include healthier choices.
- Take immune support in the form of vitamins and minerals. Of course, nothing works 100%, but some suggestions are selenium (no more than 200mg a day), elderberry extract, vitamin A and C. Good news is that most of these can be used after the outbreak has subsided.
- Stay hydrated, aiming for at least 8 glasses of water a day. It is beneficial to every aspect of your health. Find it hard to drink water, add some lemon and get your vitamin C too!
- Reduce stress. This is not just for your psychological health; your body knows when you are stressed, too. The stress hormone, cortisol, changes your body’s reaction to food, sleep and immunity. Get outdoors, meditate, read a book, do a craft, or connect with friends.
My hope is this list helps you feel calm and confident in the knowledge you can handle anything that may or may not come your way.
“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more so that we fear less.” – Marie Curie